The Fertilizer Institute (TFI)
TFI is the leading voice of the fertilizer industry, acting as an advocate for fair regulation and legislation, a consistent source for trusted information and data, a networking agent, and an outlet to publicize industry initiatives in safety and environmental stewardship.
Our Mission is to represent, promote and protect the fertilizer industry through the following strategic initiatives:
- To foster a prosperous fertilizer industry through legislative and regulatory activities at the federal, state and local level
- To effectively address issues impacting TFI member companies
- To share knowledge about the fertilizer industry with members, government and the agriculture industry on issues related to fertilizer and the farm economy
TFI traces its roots back to 1883, when a group of visionary industry leaders met to form the National Fertilizer Association (NFA). The founders of this association worked together to promote total industry growth, just like TFI's current members.
Ten years later in 1893, fertilizer manufacturers from Indiana, Kentucky, western New York, Ohio and Tennessee formed The Fertilizer Manufacturers of the West. A similar association for 'eastern' fertilizer manufacturers, The Chemical Fertilizer Manufacturers Association, was formed in 1897.
In 1901, the two groups joined to form the Fertilizer Manufacturers Association (FMA). In 1925, FMA and NFA merged, and once again there was one National Fertilizer Association.
In 1955, NFA became the National Plant Food Institute (NPFI), and in 1969, a successful merger between NPFI and the Agricultural Nitrogen Institute (ANI) resulted in the formation of TFI.