Wellington Implement has grown to a full-service equipment dealership with extensive sales and product support. Throughout its history, Wellington Implement has provided dependable, straightforward service where our customers were our number one priority. Today our obsession with service is stronger than ever. We are dedicated to doing what it takes to provide out agricultural, commercial, and residential customers with the best quality products, parts, and service. From the sales process to full-service product support, we are committed to delivering an ownership experience that exceeds your expectations and as always we have plans for growth. Growth within our dealership, of course, but more importantly growth in the one number area that matters most, the number of customers who would consider themselves Wellington Implement customers for life.
Back in 1929 (just before the Great Depression) Willard Young was diagnosed with heart problems. He and his wife, Eva, sold their Ashland area farm and, with three children in tow, moved to Wellington. Without a cent in the bank, they set up Wellington Implement.
Tragedy hit early in 1936. On January 30th, Willard Young was struck and killed by a fast moving train.
Left with three children (ranging from a second grader to a high school senior) and a business with which she was unfamiliar, Eva successfully combined the role of housewife, mother, and business woman. With the help and cooperation of the store's employees, International Harvester, and her family, the business grew to one of the most active, if not the largest, in the area.
Robert Young, the oldest son, began helping his mother at the family business when he was still in high school. Following graduation in 1940, he worked full-time. Business was brisk and in 1945, the Young's purchased land on Herrick Avenue East and constructed their new building. It was ready and open for business by mid-1946.
Following World War II, brother Walter Young came into the family business. In the early 1950's, sister Margery's husband, Robert Stannard, also joined the firm in the refrigeration area.
Probably the biggest event over the years for the company was the major fire in late May of 1966. Damage was estimated near $100,000. The cause of this multi-alarm fire was never determined. Eva Young, still very active in the family business, called upon her children and grandchildren to help clean and rebuild. To this day, the exhaustive and fulfilling work done at that time remains a topic of conversation at family reunions.
During the summer of 1970, after running Wellington Implement for 24 years, Eva Young died at the age of 76.
Today, Eva's children's children are carrying on the business that was started in 1929. Bill Stannard (who joined the company in 1973) heads up the day-to-day operations. His cousin, Michael Young (he has been with the company since 1977) oversees the operation of Wellington Indoor Comfort. In 1998, after traveling the world and working in New York, Cincinnati, and New Orleans, another grandchild of Eva's, Robert's daughter Patti Young, decided to make Wellington her home and the family business her new career.
January 2001 commemorates the fourth generation of family to join Wellington Implement. Tom Stannard, Bill's son and Eva's great-grandson brings with him experience from his work in Cub Cadet's corporate offices.
Wellington Implement had been located at 140 E. Herrick Avenue since 1946. The business had outgrown that location and in mid-2000, construction of a new facility began just South of Wellington at 625 South Main Street (State Route 58). The new 32,000 square foot facility accommodates both the power equipment and heating & air conditioning businesses. The new Wellington Implement opened for business in February 2001 and continues to satisfy the equipment needs of the area's farmers, homeowners, and businesses.
- 1929 Business began
- 1936 Willard Young killed
- 1939 IH introduces the letter series tractors, Farmall A, B, H & M
- 1945 Herrick Ave. location constructed
- 1958 First Steiger tractor produced
- 1961 First Cub Cadet produced
- 1965 IH introduces Farmall & IH 1206, the industry's first over 100 hp row crop tractor
- 1966 Fire breaks out in our building ruining the interior. We were open for business the next day
- 1977 IH introduces Axial Flow Combines
- 1979 Celebrated our 50 th Anniversary (Our IH sales rep at the time still calls on us today w/ CIH!)
- 1985 International Harvester became Case IH
- 1986 Case IH acquires Steiger
- 1988 The first Case IH Magnum tractor produced
- 1994 Added Massey Ferguson
- 1995 First use of GPS technology for farming
- 1999 Case IH becomes part of CNH
- 2001 Relocated to South Main St. facility
- 2003 Added Scag Commercial Mowers
- 2004 Our 75 th Anniversary, annual sales volume has tripled since 2001
- 2005 STX500 Steiger shatters World Plowing Record @ 792 acres in 24 hrs
- 2006 Recognized as a top north-central Ohio business at the Golden 30 Awards
- 2009 80 th Anniversary celebration currently have 40 employees
- 2011 10 years at our new location
- 2011 Recognized as a top north-central Ohio business at the Golden 30 Awards
- 2012 Our Parts Department achieved Pinnacle Status with Case IH
- 2012 Recognized as a top north-central Ohio business at the Golden 30 Awards
- 2013 Finished a two month remodel of our Parts, Service, and 2nd Floor Sales offices, replaced our Case IH sign
- 2013 Achieved Pinnacle Status within our Parts Department
- 2014 Our 85th Anniversary
- 2014 Case IH Signs Supply Agreement With Great Plains for Twin Row Planters
- 2014 Case IH introduced Tier 4 Final emissions compliant equipment marking the final stage in EPA emissions compliance