Industrial Plankton - Model PBR 1250L - Algae Photobioreactor
The 1250L Algae Bioreactor is designed to reliably grow algae in an industrial setting. Ideal for aquaculture hatcheries producing oyster, mussels, geoduck, clam, scallop, shrimp, etc., or for greenwater and zooplankton feed production in marine finfish hatcheries. Also ideal for biotech seed chain or pilot scale production. One PBR 1250L replaces up to 35,000 L of traditional batch tanks or 30 continuous 400 L bags. Biosecure algae is easy to culture with the closed photobioreactor and clean-in-place (CIP) system, while automation and easily adjustable parameters make cultures more productive and reliable.
- Highly productive tank on a small footprint
- Simple biosecure inoculation
- Batch or continuous operation
- Autoclavable tubing, filters and disconnects
- 0.1µm air, vent and media filters
- UV Sterilizer with 0.2µm absolute pre-filter
- Automated stirring & addition of nutrients
- Fits through standard double door
- 4 hour initial set-up
- Biosecure Algae Cultures
- LEDs Designed for Algae
- Real-time Graphing and Data Logging
- Closed-Loop pH Control
- Self Cleaning Biosecure Tank
- Automated Scale-up and Harvest
- Remote Access & WiFi
- Intuitive Touchscreen Controls
- Integrated Temperature Control
Biosecure disconnects make inoculation from starter algae culture (20L) simple & clean.
The PBR automatically adds water & nutrients as it scales up the culture over 7-10 days.
The PBR automatically harvests in continuous or semi-continuous mode for months at a time. At any point the entire batch can be harvested.
Between batches run the automated chemical CIP cycle to clean & sterilize the PBR. After a few hours the reactor is ready to be re-inoculated.
- 200L – 500L harvested / day
By Species (Million Cells / ml)
- 25 Thalassiosira pseudonana
- 20 Isochrysis sp.
- 130 Nannochloropsis sp.
- 4.3 Tetraselmis sp.
- 23 Chaetoceros muelleri
By Weight (Ash Free Dry Weight)
- 200-300g produced / day
- 0.6g / L density
- Typically 2-3X that of continuous
Species that Thrive
- Thalassiosira weissflogii
- Pavlova sp.
- Karenia brevis
- Skeletonema sp.
- Chaetoceros gracilis
- Chaetoceros calcitrans
- Haematococcus pluvialis
- Spirulina sp.
- Chlamydomonas sp.
- Chlorella sp.
- Production may vary base on quality of strain and inoculum
- 9 trillion cells / day Thalassiosira pseudonana
- 175 - 250g / day algal dry weight (suspended in water)
- 6 - 12 week continuous production
- 20L inoculant for 7-10 day scale up
- 1.5 hours / week of labor
- Working Volume: 1250 L / 330 gal
- Max Power Consumption (Spray Clean): 3,960W
- Avg. Steady State Power Consumption: 2,500W
- Working Space (LxWxH): 2.54m x 2.44m x 2.79m / 100in x 96in x 110
- Doorway Clearance (WxH): 1.5m x 2.02m / 59in x 79⅞in
- Operational Weight: 2,130kg / 4,700lb