Total Weather Insurance
Total Weather Insurance (TWI) is the only full-season insurance program that enables you to protect your potential profits by insuring against adverse weather events that can cause yield shortfalls, even when you fully utilize Federal crop insurance.
TWI features a flexible coverage structure to ensure that crops in the field are protected from bad weather during the right times throughout the growing season:
- Growth Stage Tracker dynamically calculates coverage dates for key weather perils by tracking the weather-driven progression of the crop in-season to estimate when the crop is entering each growth stage. With Growth Stage Tracker, TWI coverage is adaptive to a broader range of extreme weather scenarios.
- Soil Moisture Tracker provides daily field-level assessments of yield-impacting excess moisture or drought conditions. For TWI 2013, an initial soil moisture value is set right at the beginning of the growing season. Soil Moisture Tracker then calculates daily changes to the plant-available soil moisture based on the amount of water entering the soil through precipitation and the amount of water leaving the soil through evapotranspiration.
Precision Weather Measurement
TWI utilizes 2.5 x 2.5 mile grids for precipitation and temperature measurement to accurately capture the weather conditions on a grower’s farm:
- Precision Rainfall Grids – TWI tracks precipitation nationwide using Precision Rainfall Grids powered by radar-based National Weather Service data. By using the 2.5 x 2.5 mile grid that includes the grower’s TWI coverage location, Precision Rainfall Grids provide a more accurate precipitation measurement for the grower’s location than is available with traditional land-based weather stations.
- Precision Temperature Grids – TWI tracks temperature values based on 2.5 x 2.5 mile Precision Temperature Grids. Each Precision Temperature Grid utilizes data from up to 3 nearby, on-the-ground weather stations – adjusted for grid-specific geographic characteristics such as elevation or proximity to bodies of water – to calculate daily temperature conditions. Precision Temperature Grids are designed to provide more precise temperature values for a grower’s location than is possible with point-based temperature reporting.
TWI’s unique Farm-Level Optimizer provides precision coverage based on crop, field location, soil type and relative maturity of seed planted. TWI is designed to complement Federal crop insurance by protecting profits at risk due to adverse weather. Unlike Federal crop insurance, TWI policies have no claims process, no paperwork and no waiting for payment. If covered bad weather happens, you are paid automatically at the end of the coverage period.
- Comprehensive TWI provides coverage against the major weather perils you may face during the crop year.
- Customized TWI coverage is tuned to your crop, location, soil type and local weather risks.
- Profit-Focused TWI is designed to complement Federal crop insurance programs and protect profits at risk due to adverse weather.
- Hassle-Free TWI policies have no claims process, no paperwork and no waiting for payment. If bad weather happens, you are paid automatically at the end of the coverage period.
- Cash-flow Friendly TWI works with your cash flow by not requiring any premium payment until the end of the coverage period.
- Validated The Climate Corporation’s insurance products are approved in these states and are supported by an A.M. Best “A” rating or higher.