The Tanzania Horticultural Association (TAHA) is a Business Association grouping together all aspects of the Horticulture Industry in Tanzania. Since its inception in 2004 TAHA has successfully brought together the large scale professional operations and the many growers’ groups and small holders into a single bloc with a single business oriented set of interests. This achievement has resulted in TAHA becoming the fastest growing farmer organization in the region. And the recognition of that accomplishment has brought the partnerships and support that are continuing to transform the industry.
The Government of Tanzania and Development Partners such as USAID, BEST-AC, the Royal Netherlands Embassy and Finnish Government are all involved in supporting Horticulture in projects in partnership with TAHA or in part designed with the advice and participation of TAHA. As a result TAHA is strategically placed to both influence the course development and advocate the reduction of constraints. By bringing the producers, traders, exporters and processors of all horticultural products – that is flowers, fruits, vegetables, spices, herbs and seeds - TAHA has created a single Voice. A voice of both large scale and small that resonates locally, nationally and internationally and with a common understanding that the challenge is about making business work. TAHA has been leading the industry in addressing that challenge and anticipates Horticulture’s contribution to be significant to both Economic Growth and Poverty Eradication.
The overarching objective of TAHA since its establishment is to improve the competitiveness of Tanzanian Horticulture through strategic and innovative development and promotional activities. The common voice that has resulted from TAHA bringing all parts of the industry under one roof, and their efforts into one plan, give TAHA the reach and influence to positively advocate Government Policy, access market opportunities for its members and develop common ground, support and partnerships from donors. With the partnerships and support coming into place TAHA will continue to exercise its voice but also to bring into being the research and analysis, the improved business environment, the efficient information and finance systems that the industry needs to achieve its promise.
The main TAHA services can be described as below;
i. Creating Business Enabling Environment This is mainly achieved through following key activities:
• Maintaining positive dialogue with the Government of Tanzania and Development partners to ensure that there are supportive policy and regulatory frameworks.
• Resource mobilization for industry development programs.
• Establishing and maintaining solid relationship with partners at different levels both local and international.
ii. Technical Support Services These are activities implemented by TAHA and partners to enhance the industry capacity to produce quality and reliable products according to the market requirements. This is mainly realized through:
• Farmers’ mobilization and capacity building programs.
• Provision of industry logistic services such as clearing and forwarding, trucking, cargo consolidation and handling, airfreight bookings and negotiations, etc through it vibrant logistic company TAHAFresh Handling limited.
• Ensuring that markets standards and their governing systems are well translated to farmers for compliance purposes.
• Facilitating access to innovative finances.
iii. Industry Promotion, Communication and Information Management TAHA’s role and responsibility is also to ensure that the Tanzania horticulture is well profiled, opportunities are exploited and there is adequate information sharing to facilitate smooth business transaction amongst partners. This among other things involves:
• Branding of TAHA and the industry through various promotion platforms at the local, regional and international levels.
• Facilitating trade and linkages amongst partners
• Ensuring optimal information/communication flow inside and outside the industry. TAHA manages the Marketing and information system (MIS) in which various products are delivered to stakeholders as part of the services to the industry.