Sims Garden Machinery Ltd

Sims Garden Machinery Ltd were founded in 1908 and are still very much a family business specialising in the sales and service of garden machinery. As such we are able to offer a range of services, including: Advice on purchase Best product for each customer`s requirements, within their budget. Huge range of products  We hold several hunderd machines in stock at any one time, with over 250 on display in our extensive new showroom and new premises, so you can be assured that we will be able to fulfill you requirements. After sales service All machines sold by Sims can be serviced or repaired on the premises.

Company details

20/21 The Waterways, Birmingham Rd. Stratford-upon-Avon , Warwickshire , CV37 0AW United Kingdom

Locations Served

Our Manufacturers

Business Type:
Distributor
Industry Type:
Agriculture
Market Focus:
Nationally (across the country)

Extended guarantee tied to annual servicing

Wide range of suppliers Sims are not restricted by any franchise agreements allowing staff to give independent, unbiased advice. 

Fleet of vehicles FREE local delivery on all new machines. Machines can be serviced or repaired either at the customer's property or on our own premises, whichever is most suitable. 

Expert and impartial advice With a staff of 9 full-time and 3 part-time employees we have an excellent reputation for high-quality work and are always pleased to welcome back existing customers, whether it is for an annual service or to buy additional equipment.

In 1908 F. H. Sims was founded in Birmingham, a company of Agricultural Merchants and Engineers. In 1936, the founder Frank Sims, who had now been joined by his elder son Harold, opened up a new branch at Bridgefoot in Stratford-upon-Avon; this must have been immediately very successful as in 1939 they moved from Bridgefoot to bigger premises in Meer Street in the town. Here they remained until Meer Street was developed in the late 50's when they took over purpose-built premises on the corner of Western Road and Birmingham Road.

During the ‘50s with the demand for food, mechanization of farming and advances in agricultural engineering, the business continued to expand opening up a small depot in Lichfield in Staffordshire and later one in Long Compton in South Warwickshire.

In 1960 the Birmingham head office moved from Moor Street a few hundred yards away to Milk Street, Digbeth. Moor Street was flattened to make way for a new ringway and the redevelopment of the centre. The company's fortunes fluctuated during the ‘60s and early ‘70s before continuing to grow with the improving fortunes of farming following UK's joining of the EEU.

The current MD, Barry Sims - Harold's son - had joined the company from agricultural college in 1969. At that time the average tractor sold was around 60hp and cost just £1000. Within 15 years the company was selling giant American Case Tractors of around 250hp and costing £40,000.

By the mid-1980s farms had got bigger and more efficient and there was huge over-production of crops. With bigger and bigger farms there were in effect fewer and fewer customers and the golden era for agricultural engineers was coming to an end. In the following 5 years the company very nearly went out of business despite much cost-cutting. Times were difficult.

In 1980 there were 4 medium to large agricultural machinery dealerships in Stratford - Sims, Saville, Burgess and Western Farm Implements. By the year 2000 there were none left.

At their Stratford site Sims had always sold some garden machinery but it had been very much a minor part of their business. In 1990 though the decision was taken to effectively withdraw from the loss making agricultural market, close the Birmingham head office, and concentrate on expanding the garden and ground care side of the business in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Within 5 years they were probably the biggest in Warwickshire and with the extension of the showroom they had become one of the major outlets for quality garden machinery in the country. The company name changed to Sims Garden Machinery Ltd.

Since their centenary in 2008 the company 'has not let the grass grow under its feet' moving to purpose-built premises in the exciting new Waterways development off Birmingham Road in Stratford.

The Waterways has approx. 5500 sq ft of floor area, nearly 4x as much as the old unit. The move was carried out in February 2009 under the leadership of General Manager David Smith and at the end of that year Sims Garden Machinery were very proud to be awarded the coveted 'UK GARDEN MACHINERY DEALER OF THE YEAR' for 2009. David said, 'This Award is a tribute to all those who helped create our new premises, and to our staff for consistently providing the highest level of customer support and service.'

2011, another milestone, 75 years in Stratford-upon-Avon. The Company, which is one of very few to have been trading in Stratford-upon-Avon for this length of time, is immensely pleased to have been associated with the town this long. Another 75 years begin......