EU Timber Regulation Awareness Training
Since March 2013 the new EU Timber Regulation (EUTR) has been prohibiting placing illegally harvested timber and timber products onto the EU market. FIRA`s EUTR Awareness Training course is designed to enable organisations to understand their legal obligations when importing, selling and trading timber and timber products in the EU.
- Event Type:
- Workshops/Training Courses
- Oct. 17, 2016
- Maxwell Road, Stevenage
- Herts , UK
EUTR: An Overview
Broadly, the EUTR prohibits the sale of illegal timber and timber products in the EU and establishes the obligations for organisations to exercise due diligence when 'first placing' timber and products such as wooden furniture onto the market. The EUTR also requires traders to maintain records to enable supply chain traceability.
Key Definitions: Operators vs. Traders
- Operators 'first place' timber onto the EU market.
- Traders deal with purchases from within the EU.
What will the course cover?
This one day course will provide delegates with a key understanding of the requirements of EUTR, with particular focus on the following core aspects:
- Placing on the Market (Article 2)
- Identifying whether you are an operator, trader or both.
- Obligations of Operators and Due Diligence Systems (Articles 4 and 6)
- Examples of measures and procedures for performing satisfactory due diligence.
- Obligation of Traceability (Article 5)
- Maintaining records and other documentation for supply chain traceability as well as responsible timber purchasing best practice.
- Other relevant supporting Articles including the role of monitoring organisations and the competent authorities.
- The role of Chain of Custody certification schemes.
What products are affected by EUTR?
A variety of timber products including sawn and machined wood, composite boards such as fibreboard, particleboard and plywood and veneering sheets together with non-upholstered office, kitchen and bedroom furniture.
Who is the course aimed at?
- Furniture suppliers and manufacturers
- Compliance Managers and Environmental Staff
- Procurement Staff