Elmac Technologies - Bursting Discs
Bursting Discs (or rupture discs) are used to protect plant, pipework, and vessels from high levels of overpressure and vacuum. Elmac Technologies® offers a range of bursting discs for different applications and mountings. Disc types available include forward acting, reverse acting, scored, inverted, insulated, and dual-pressure rated. Please contact our Customer Services team to discuss your particular requirements.
Bursting Discs are non-reclosing devices that are designed to burst or rupture at a pre-determined pressure in order to relieve dangerous levels of pressure or vacuum.
Forward acting discs mount with the concave surface facing the process media. As pressure increases above the recommended operating pressure, the disc will bulge until it reaches the maximum tensile strength of the material and ruptures.
- Available in a wide choice of materials and designs to suit the process application
- Wide range of models for different applications
- Mount directly between standard B16.5 flanges
- Operates at up to 90% of marked burst pressure
- ASME UD marking available
- The Elmac technical team can advise on specific location queries
Selecting the correct type of bursting disc for a particular application is not always an easy process. In order to do this, typical questions which need to be answered include:
- What is the process fluid (liquid/gas)?
- What size bursting disc do you require?
- Is fragmentation of the disc allowable?
- Are there any material limitations on the bursting disc?
- Do you require burst/leak indicators?
- What is the normal operating pressure?
- What is the maximum tolerable over/under pressure?
- What is the desired bursting pressure?
- What is the allowable tolerance on the bursting pressure?
Forward Acting, Tension Loaded rupture discs perform with the process pressure on the concave side of the rupture disk.
Graphite rupture disks are made from a single piece of graphite, a high-purity form of carbon, which is impregnated with phenolic resin. The resulting material, called impervious graphite, is impermeable and is resistant to most corrosives.
Reverse Acting rupture disks offer revolutionary new scoreless and scored non-fragmenting designs for universal use - new ultra low ratings - 90% operating ratios.
Depending upon the type and model of bursting disc selected, a range of holders is available in order to mount them into your process/system