Delta-T - Model WET-2 - WET Sensor
Measures Water content, EC and Temperature. Measures directly within the root zone. A vital tool for precision horticulture. In just 5 seconds the WET Sensor checks 3 crucial variables that influence plant growth: water content, temperature and pore water conductivity (ECp), the EC of the water that is available to the plant.
Fertigation and hydroponics
Where plants are grown in artificial substrates using hydroponic or fertigation systems, nutrients are routinely supplied in irrigation water. Nutrient levels are controlled by monitoring the water content and conductivity (EC) and adjusting the injection of liquid fertiliser into the irrigation water. The Delta-T WET Sensor excels in monitoring this vital information.
Container-grown shrubs and trees
- Nutrients are sometimes provided by fertigation but are often provided by Controlled Release Fertilisers (CRF).
- The rate at which these are taken up depends on several factors, including the weather conditions and irrigation regime.
- The Delta-T Devices WET Sensor can be used to measure the EC within the growing media and so take much of the guesswork out of this process.
If the irrigation water is recycled or abstracted from riversand aquifers with high levels of dissolved salts, over time there can be a build up of soil salinity. Soil salinisation will eventually reduce crop yields. The WET Sensor is fast and efficient for sampling soil salinity, ensuring that farmers have the essential information they need to take remedial action as quickly as possible.
WET Sensors are normally ordered as a complete kit that includes a WET Sensor, an HH2 Moisture Meter and a handy carry case. There are three types of Kit - each with a different set of substrate calibrations, including coir, peat and mineral wool. Please download our Soil Moisture Measurement catalogue for further details. Alternatively, contact Delta-T Devices directly, or your local representative.
Readout and data logging
For portable applications, readout and data storage are handled by the HH2 Moisture Meter. Alternatively, the WET Sensor can be connected to a GP2 or GP1 Data Logger, making it possible to monitor growing conditions over a period of hours, days or longer. The GP2 and GP1's smart relay capabilities allow them to control water content in response to EC or temperature.
- Permittivity, ε‘: 1 to 80 ± 2.5
- Bulk conductivity: 0 to 300 mS.m-1 ± 10 (ECb)
- Temperature,: -5 to 50°C ± 1.5°C
- Volumetric Soil Moisture,q: 0 to 100% ± 3%
- Pore water conductivity: see graph on overview page (ECp)
- Calibration: Individual sensor calibrations stored within sensor EEPROM
- Output: Serial data (TTL)
- Environmental: IP68, 0 to 50°C
- Power: 6 to 10V, ~38mA for 2.5s
- Dimensions: Probe housing: 55 x 45 x 12mm
- Rods: ~68mm long
- Sample volume: ~500ml